Strolling the Avenue is always a pleasure, especially on 2nd Fridays! Friday, September 13th participating shops are open late so you have time to shop, stroll and dine your way through West Reading. Live music at the 6th Avenue stage by Be from 6-8pm!
This month a Cherry Street Mural Corridor Stroll will be held from 5-6:30pm from 4th to 7th Avenues. A guided mural tour will begin at 5:30pm behind Benchwarmers Coffee at 4th Avenue and Cherry Street.
A Dean’s Way Dedication will be held at 6th Avenue and Cherry Street at 6pm.
The Cherry Street Mural Corridor is a collection of public art created over the past 6 years. During this time, individual artists and hundreds of community volunteers have worked together with property owners to create this unique outdoor gallery. The West Reading Community Revitalization Foundation has been the driving force for both the organizational and financial support of the Mural Corridor.
In 2018 the Cherry Street Mural Corridor was recognized by the Pennsylvania Downtown Center as tops in Pennsylvania for Public Space Improvements. Come tour the many murals, meet the artists and participate in some other fun activities on Cherry Street.
This past year we lost the driving force behind the West Reading Elm Street Program, it’s director Dean Rohrbach. To honor Dean’s memory the Mural Corridor has been renamed Dean’s Way.
Here’s some of the activities you may find on the Stroll…
• Mural artists on hand to answer questions about how murals are made and other considerations when making public art.
• Photo displays to show work in progress and photos of people working on our projects.
• Friday the 13th photo opp with Simon, the famous black mural cat.
• Scavenger Hunt at the West Reading Is… Mural (600 Block of Cherry Street).
• Artists “live painting” on Penn Avenue and Cherry Street.