Kutztown University will host the Central Eastern Regional Science Olympiad on Thursday, March 14. The event begins at 8 a.m. in Boehm Science Center and ends with the closing ceremony at approximately 4:30 p.m. in Keystone Arena. The inclement weather date is Friday, March 15.
More than 650 students representing 30 high schools and 12 middle schools from Berks, Bucks, Lehigh, Northampton, Northumberland and Schuylkill counties are expected, competing in 46 different events.
In its 35th year nationally, and 10th anniversary of the Olympiad at KU, the Science Olympiad is an international nonprofit organization devoted to improving the quality of K-12 science education, creating a passion for learning science and providing recognition for outstanding achievement in science education by both students and teachers. These goals are accomplished through classroom activities, research, professional development workshops and the encouragement of intramural, district, regional, state, national and international tournaments.
The Olympiad is organized by schools at the junior high and senior high levels. Each school sends one team to compete in a variety of events. High school teachers serve as the coaches, judges, and coordinators. Olympiad competitions are conducted at four levels- local, regional, state and national. The local competition is designed to prepare students for regional competition. No teams are eliminated in the local competition. At the regional level the top-ranked teams move on to the state competition. The Pennsylvania Science Olympiad State Tournament will take place at Juniata College on Saturday, April 27, 2019.
The official website of the International Science Olympiad is http://www.soinc.org/.
The current event schedule can be found at https://www.kutztown.edu/events/science-olympiad/events-and-rules.htm.
For more information visit https://www.kutztown.edu/events/science-olympiad.htm.
Middle/Junior High Schools:
- Boyertown Middle School East
- Conrad Weiser Middle School
- Exeter Township Junior High School
- Fleetwood Area Middle School
- Kutztown Middle School
- Nazareth Area Middle School
- Orefield Middle School
- Schuylkill Valley Middle School
- Springhouse Middle School
- Tohickon Middle School
- Twin Valley Middle School
- Whitehall Coplay Middle School
- Allentown Central Catholic High School
- Bethlehem Catholic High School
- Boyertown Area Senior High School
- Central Bucks High School East
- Central Bucks High School South
- Central Bucks High School West
- Conrad Weiser High School
- Council Rock High School South
- Emmaus High School
- Exeter Township Senior High
- Fleetwood Area High School
- Governor Mifflin High School
- Kutztown Area High School
- Liberty High School
- Moravian Academy Upper School
- Nazareth Area High School
- New Hope Academy
- New Hope-Solebury High School
- Northampton Area High School
- Northwestern Lehigh High School
- Parkland High School
- Perkiomen Valley High School
- Reading Senior High School
- Schuylkill Valley High School
- Tamaqua Area High School
- Twin Valley High School
- Whitehall High School
- Wilson High School (West Lawn)
- Wyoming Seminary Upper School
- Wyomissing Area Jr./Sr. High School